Thursday, December 16, 2010

Daring to Taking Action

The ringing in of the new year is a clear and nearby sound, so close I can feel it. I have felt this melodious warmth most of the year as I have laid the foundation and worked tirelessly toward a brand new beginning. This transition in my life has been met with the grace and blessings of mentors, newfound friends, a set of skills I never knew I possessed, and a healthy dose of humor and humility.

For fifteen years of my life I had what my sister calls a "servant's heart." I still do, but am looking to serve in a different way. I worked in community mental health as a social worker, therapist, advocate, director, supervisor, problem solver and morale booster. I loved every moment of it. I loved every crisis I helped to manage, every person who grew stronger, and sharing compassion and hope everyday. This is who I am. This is my soul and essence.

So, it was a surprise to me when I decided that I simply needed more resources to help more people. I had never thought about this concept before. I had always thought that hope would be enough, that caring would be enough. And, indeed it can be, and it was for the thousands of children and families I was honored to help. It was my clients who taught me the real lesson though. They helped me more than they will ever know. When we lost our program for adults and had to close their services within two weeks, it was their tears that left me with more wisdom. When we lost a program for children and parents based in the community that they could actually access it was their tears that left me with even more wisdom. When both of these programs, and several others during my career, closed due to budget cuts, it was the tears of gratitude from the children and parents that left me wiser. They did not blame. They only cried in thanks. They were the strong ones. They were resilient.

I began to think last year, how can we give those who are struggling in poverty even more of a chance, even more resources, even more to work with and grow from? All of these hundreds of clients were able to survive and thrive everyday in circumstances that most of us can't even fathom let alone have the strength to endure. Most of these children and families took any and every resource and opportunity they were given, no matter the length of time, and learned as much and grew as much as they could. Imagine what would happen if these and the millions of other families challenged by poverty were provided tools such as more education, community resource centers, job training, and more!

So, I started two businesses, both aimed at raising money to fund communities. The aim is to fund community and school gardens, to fund community resource centers for job training and basic needs, to fund schools to have enough teachers and resources for every child. The first business, Green Queens and Kings, focuses on the power of our children to change their planet and their community in eco-friendly ways, and the sales of an app I created called Green Quest will help toward funding community and school gardens, as well as green job training. My second business is focused on day trading, getting in there with the crowd of movers and shakers of the financial realm to claim some cash for people who need it. This second business has had its challenges, but any and all profits go toward a fund for my vision to strengthen schools and communities.

By raising enough money to fund these efforts, then I will not have to tell families that budget cuts have closed down their services. I am blessed to be a part of providing even more resources to resilient and strong children and families, one community at a time.

I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network blogging program, for a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

Oprah Winfrey NetworkThe New Oprah Winfrey Network

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the well written post!!
    This world needs more people like you.
    Your a great,caring person and I wish you luck in all that you do.
    Thanks,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shannon! Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete